Orthopedic pain can come in all shapes and sizes. There is acute pain, often caused by an abrupt tear to soft tissue such as a tendon, ligament or muscle. And then there is pain that is chronic. It never completely goes away and with some conditions, it can get worse over time.
Two of the most common chronic orthopedic conditions are arthritis and degenerative disc disease. Whether they arise from an earlier unhealed injury or simply as a result of the wear-and-tear that comes with aging, these conditions can lead to pain that does not ever fully resolve itself.
Most of the common treatments for these conditions today address the symptoms of the pain. Cellular treatments treat the source of the pain.
Biologic Therapies: A Safe Treatment Option for Chronic Pain
Cell-based treatments for orthopedic conditions harness the regenerative properties that are inherent in our blood and stem cells to encourage healing in damaged cells. They can spur the growth of new, healthy cells in damaged joint cartilage, spinal discs, and other soft tissues such as tendons and ligaments.
The two types of cellular treatments for chronic orthopedic pain are:
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP): Concentrated solution of platelets derived from the patient’s own blood contain a significant amount of growth factors and proteins that promote tissue regeneration, decrease inflammation and encourage blood vessel formation.
- Cell Based Therapies: Cells taken from the patient’s own fat tissue (Microfragmented Adipose Tissue) or bone marrow (Bone Marrow Aspiration Concentrate) contain adult stem cells that have the unique ability to renew themselves and develop into other cell types. They promote tissue healing, control inflammation and fight infection.
Because these products are taken from, and returned to, the patient’s own body (known as autologous) there are no ethical concerns regarding the use of donated cellular (umbilical) products.
Natural, Concentrated Healing for Chronic Pain
After removing a small amount of the patient’s own blood plasma, fat tissue or bone marrow, the material is separated and concentrated in a highly specialized centrifuge. Experienced regenerative medicine specialists know that there is no “one-size-fits-all” concentration or dosage, so each sample is specifically formulated to address the patient’s unique biology and the orthopedic condition and location being treated.
The concentrated super-healing cells are then reinjected into the patient where they can begin to reduce inflammation and initiate healing and recovery. The result is less pain, and in some cases, cartilage, discs and tissues that are even stronger than they were prior to the injury or degeneration.
Why Try Biologic Therapies for Chronic Orthopedic Pain?
You may see ads for “Stem Cell Clinics” but be sure to research their credentials, their facilities and their patient outcomes before you proceed. Ask:
- Are they board-certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Orthopedic Surgery and/or Sports Medicine?
- Do they have years of clinical experience delivering autologous cellular treatments?
- Do they prepare the blood or cellular products on site? At the bedside or in a dedicated lab with specialized centrifuges?
- Do they use ultrasound or x-ray guidance to deliver the healing concentrations to the injured area?
- Have they published any of their patient outcomes or participated in any clinical studies to add to the field of knowledge?
To achieve the best outcomes for relieving chronic orthopedic pain, patients should seek out the best, most experienced biologic medicine specialists. They should look for practices that have invested in the best technology and training available and that are willing to share their patient outcomes. Talk to our team at Integrative Spine & Sports today by filling out the form below: